How to Teach English in Malta

Teach English in Malta

Teaching English in Malta can be a truly rewarding experience. Malta is now one of the go to destinations for people who want an English speaking holiday, and for good reasons too. It’s hot almost all year round with very mild winters, it’s cheap, and considering one of the alternatives is an expensive, grey England… most people choose Malta. With this in mind, if you do want to teach English in Malta, you won’t have a problem finding work. Schools are plentiful here and attract thousands of students each and every year. However, there are a few things you need before you can hit the streets with your cv.

What do you need? First things first, you will need a teaching permit from the Educational department (ELT Council). This certificate will last for four years, after which you will need to renew.

In order to obtain this you will need….

– Recognised TEFL certificate – A level qualifications (if under 25) – Police conduct certificate* – Passport – Birth certificate – €15

Just visit the Educational department in Floriana and that’s it. They will give you a provisional permit and send you a certificate within a few weeks. Until then you can hit the streets with your cv and find a school that will take you on.

*This can be obtained from the Police headquarters in Floriana for a couple of euros. All you need to do is bring along your passport and fill out a form.


Most schools pay about €10 per hour. With a CELTA or equivalent plus some experience, you may get an extra euro or two. Hours vary due to the summer season (the busiest being May – September) and you can expect to work anywhere between 15 and 30 hours per week.

Other things to bear in mind

Along with the teaching permit, there are a few more documents you need once you find a job in Malta.

– e Residence ID card – Social security number – Bank account

Most schools hire on the spot and prefer you to be in the country. When I arrived in September, I had five job interviews and five offers within a day or two. If you have at least a 120 hr TESOL or CELTA, you will have no issues finding work.

You can read about my experience here.

If you have any questions please feel free to comment below and I will get back to you ASAP.


HAVE PINTEREST? PIN ITTeach English in Malta

6 Comments to “How to Teach English in Malta”

Author's gravatar

Teaching English in a foreign country is a plan I’d pursue in the next few years.. this post is really helpful. How long are the contracts, or teaching terms? 🙂

Author's gravatar

I really find this interesting and tempting. I’ve been planning to teach English outside of my country, but I don’t know which country. Malta is something I consider now. Thank you so much for sharing such detailed post.

Author's gravatar

Really interesting – thanks.
I’d never considered Malta. I have a degree plus CELTA, plus experience of teaching for about 8 years in Greece…now I’m a travel writer.
But would love to investigate Malta as a possibility.
Is it expensive to live?
Look forward to hearing from you (contact details in my bio).

    Author's gravatar

    Hi Rebecca, Malta is one of the cheaper places to live in Europe. However prices are slowly raising at the moment. For example, a one bedroom apartment would be between 300 to 500 euros depending where you live. Food is relatively cheap and electricity is about average. Saving wise you can’t save much but if you want to experience another country without saving then I would recommend Malta. If you have anymore questions then please let me know

Author's gravatar

I find this really interesting. I have been teaching English online for more than 4 years now. Catering English to 12 non English speaking countries ( majority are Japanese ) and been considering of leveling up to another country. Though, I don’t have any certificates. lol Malta’s pay is quite high and considering the cost of living there, does it balance? How about the other teaching experience you have in other countries? Thanks!

    Author's gravatar

    Hi Cathy, For Malta you would need a CELTA, TESOL or TEFL to apply for the teaching permit. The cost of living and wages to balance quite well if you get the hours.
    As for other countries I recommend getting a CELTA or TESOL as they are recognized in most countries. If you also have a degree then most countries are open to you. China, Japan, S Korea etc pay quite high salaries. I hope this helps

Leave a Reply